Monday, November 28, 2016

T Stands For Ye Old Curiosity Shoppe


The silly season has started.  That's what I call it, because things get really silly crazy about this time of year. 

My friend Jeanie at The Marmalade Gypsy shared her Thanksgiving dinner ware.  I commented that I liked her place settings and how they reminded me of the pieces I use between Thanksgiving and Christmas.   Mine are called Ye Old Curiosity Shoppe and I got/inherited them after my grandparents died (my grandparents raised me from birth).  Jeanie asked me to share them, and those of you who are long time readers have seen them before, but not usually in such good focus.

They were designed and manufactured by a US company called Royal and were very popular in the 1950s and 60s.  Although all the pieces are green, each has uniquely different scenes, several of which can be traced to the novel by Charles Dickens.  They are all tied together by their hinges on the rims of each piece.  My grandmother must have liked these because she collected 24 of the bread (and butter) plates.  She used them for salad, bread, and dessert.

I grabbed the wrong saucer, because this is not the cup saucer.   Not sure what this saucer is used for, but it's so different, I can't find a picture of it anywhere on the internet.

The cup has a distinct handle

that matches both the sugar bowl (not shown) and creamer.

For the life of me, I thought the photo I took of the pumpkin roll included the cup of cream loaded coffee, but apparently I missed photographing the coffee.

I don't want to hear you laughing, because I vowed I would never make another one of these again.  However, this one is smaller, and I took far less time rolling it, as it shows.  The cream cheese in the center of the pumpkin bread is truly wonderful, even if I do say so myself.

This is the first one I made, and it is sitting on a dinner plate.  The second one I made was quite similar.  Yes, that's my old camera you're looking at.

Now it's your turn to share your drink related post.   Any post is acceptable as long as you can relate it, in some way, back to a drink.  Think postcard, movie, fine art, poster art, sketches, digital, hybrid, or traditional art, unique teapots, your garden, or take us with you as you go out and about.   Photos do not have to be taken on Tuesday, but you must link below (direct links only, please) to ensure Bleubeard, the "T" gang, and I visit.  Or drop by to say hello and consider joining us for this weekly event this week or in the future.  We'd love to have you. 



This is Day 29, and I actually think I'm going to make it.  Thanks for sticking with me through this month of AEDM.  I am so grateful, and so are the two "boys."

Please don't forget to dig up your Second Look on the 2nd post so it will be ready on Friday.  Any person is welcome to join.  The more the merrier.  Any genre, any post is welcome as long as you have shown it in the past.



20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your china is beautiful, I always love to use the old things which were used by the generations before us. Your pumpkin roll looks great, wouldn't mind a slice of it at all! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Your dinner service is divine, I love the designs and can see why your Grandmother liked it so - stunning! So funny about you making a pumpkin roll again, it looks delicious and my mouth is watering - please please please send me over a slice :-). Yummy! Wishing you a very Happy T day! J :-)

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a beautiful set of china and of course the pumpkin roll does look delicious - glad you gave it another shot!! Trying to get back into a routine now!! Hugs, Chrisx

Halle said...

Oh your lovely green transferware! I used my brown set on Sunday. I love my grandma's dishes!
Happy T day!

Linda Kunsman said...

looks like several of us have pumpkin roll in our heads:):)
I love your dinnerware and especially knowing they came from your beloved grandparents. They're just not made like that any longer. I'm wondering if that small plate was for bread and butter?
Happy T day Elizabeth!

Jeanie said...

Well, I'm very glad you showed your dishes and I can see why you like them. Isn't it amazing how they can come up with so many variations on the theme so they are all different? I love that. And I love the green, too. And even more special because of the family connection.

Your pumpkin roll made me laugh. A number of years ago I made pumpkin rolls to sell. I would usually do about five or six dozen of them -- that's a lotta pumpkin rolls. (There's a tutorial on it somewhere on the Gypsy from LONG ago!). Well, people would put in orders and ask when they were coming so I hated to stop even though the cost of ingredients (and therefore the price) kept going up. I did them till I got my lung stuff and figured that I was too much of a coughing risk in the kitchen. Well, that was sort of it. Mostly, I just got sick and tired of making pumpkin rolls! Honestly, if I ever had one again, it would be too soon. (Although I will admit, I love the bread part and it's not all that hard. I have used the pumpkin bread base of the roll as the bread part of my pumpkin trifle and it's wonderful!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love heirlooms and keepsakes from childhood years and remembrances of loved ones, and you've got all of these things in those dishes. Sweet!

johanna said...

awesome heirlooms, and photographed so beautifully! and i´m drooling for a Piece of this pumpkin roll now!!
happy t-day, elizabeth!

chrissie said...

Your dinner service is stunning and the roll looks delicious.

Happy T Day

Love Chrissie xx

Meggymay said...

I love old china and this set you show us would be the focus of many a conversation if it were on the family table. Super photos today.
I would enjoy a slice of the delicious roll as well.
Glad I am not the only one ranting about blogger, I gave up trying to get into one of my blogs yesterday.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

WHAT A WONDERFUL
china and I guess that you always think in love of your grandparents when you use it!
This roll looks yummie and I would love to have a slice of it right now!
Happy T-Day dear Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

My name is Erika. said...

Happy T Day Elizabeth! I love these dishes. I remember my aunt had some with a Currier and Ives scene of them. I think your place setting looks great, and green is a great color. I've always seen brown ones. And your pumpkin rolls looks yummy to me. I can't see what's wrong with it, but then to me the taste is more important than the look. It sounds and LOOKS YUMMY to me. Hugs-Erika

Lisca said...

Yes, I saw those plates last year, but I never tire of looking at them so keep posting them every year. They are beautiful! Interesting you should say this set was popular in the 50s and 60s because that unusual handle is typical of the 50s. I love the olde worlde scenes on the plates and the fact that they are all different.
Pumpkin roll! Well done you! How clever! I haven't made it yet. Someone is going to give me the recipe and I want to have a go. I have never attempted a roll full stop. let alone a pumpkin roll....
I have been reading your previous blogs and saw the grain elevators. How interesting.I have never seen a real one. Only in films. Remember 'The Witness' that was set in an Amish community. Someone drowned in the grain....)
Thank you for sharing your dinner ware with us and not to forget the slice of pumpkin roll.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Darla said...

What a wonderful set of dishes. I keep trying to imagine what that odd saucer was meant to hold. Little mysteries like that are interesting. Yes, we are into the "silly season". I try to keep it as I can but get caught up in it every year.

CJ Kennedy said...

Love your dishes especially the cup with the ink well.

Dianne said...

I always love seeing these beautiful dishes! it is indeed the silly season, as you call it. why do we put so much pressure on ourselves to make it perfect?! often ends up being a season of family drama...sigh. kind of annoying that the decorations in the stores are up before Halloween! and still I love it. here's hoping for a 'calm and bright' season!! ♥ hugs...

Rita said...

Pretty and unique! :)

jinxxxygirl said...

Love your china Elizabeth... even the name of it.... The pumpkin roll i'am not fond of as i don't care for the filling but it looks quite challenging to make so kudos to you girl!!!Happy happy T day? Hugs! deb

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous set of china, I know we've seen bits of it but it is truly magical for the holidays. Enjoy your sweets. xox

NatureFootstep said...

love the dinner ware. Would love to have it myself. :)

I think you and I probably are the only ones actually creating Art Every Day Month. So, thanks for sticking with me every day. Just a final one I think you will like :)